Titanium Jen defies the odds on Exam Results Day.


It seems like a lifetime ago since I was told I was never going to be well enough to attend university, by a Neurologist who seemed to have no hope that I would live past 2017. In a way, it was a different lifetime for me, as I now live in a way all of my medical professionals could have even imagined for me at this point in time.

On June 5th I sat my Open University exam to complete one of my second-year modules in English Literature and submitted a large end of module assignment to be marked by an examiner also. I left that exam, unsure of how I’d done, and questioning whether ‘my brain post-surgery could really do this’. Still now, nearly 4 years post-surgery and all of the trauma which followed, I still find myself doubting my ability to succeed academically.

I’ll cut to the chase for you all, after a grueling wait the years results were finally in. I finished a day worked and had a quick mosey at my phone. There were two emails from The Open University. Both module results were ready, I opened A215 my creative writing module first, I was less nervous about this module as I knew it wasn’t exam based.

First module results opened, SMASHED IT! The examiner marked assignment was a hit, and my overall grade for the year was a 2:2. I was overall very happy with this, I wasn’t expecting the same from the other module, but I knew this set me in a good way to continue with the creative writing on my next module for my third level with the open university.

Second module, I felt slightly sickly. I opened the result up. It was a Grade 4 Pass. This meant firstly that I’d made it through the whole second year! I wasn’t overly happy with a 3rd for this module but knowing that level 3 is double weighted and I was doing this one module at a time while working was going to be much more manageable for me.

I was relieved. I wanted to shout from the rooftops that I wasn’t as brain damaged as they said I’d be by now. Turns out, sometimes I do know more than the doctors. (Maybe just this once.)

I guess the overall point of this blog post for anyone who has had a diagnosis or is affected by the diagnosis of a loved one, is never lose hope. Because it is possible, and you can achieve it with a little bit of passion, a lot of support (which I can put you in touch with if you need it) and some hope.
You can achieve anything you dream of.



Comments

Popular Posts