Day One Iceland Trekking


DAY ONE - OFF WE GO! 


The coach ride to our drop off location would put the adrenaline I’ve felt on the scariest rollercoasters in my life to shame. We were on the smallest twisting lanes at height, with a blustery wind rocking our minibus filled with 22 fundraising trekkers side to side. The Icelandic nationals were calm and relaxed but you could smell the fear amongst us brits. The scenery around us was breath taking, well at least it was beautiful, we barely had any breath from the fear of the swaying ascent we were making up into the snowy mountains. While we were all nervously rocking in our seats, our insightful Icelandic guides stood upright and surprisingly still at the front of the coach, informing us of health and safety tips for our trip, and key information about how to bury our faeces in little holes. In that moment I saw the same look on every single member of the teams face as I looked around, we all realised that we would be urinated and defecating in the wilderness, with NO NATURAL TREES in a team of 21 other strangers. Looked like they wouldn’t be strangers for long...

First stop, we all got off the coach at a deep canyon for a quick toilet break and to have something to eat, and this was where we got our first heartfelt reminder of our purpose here. Every single person who had arrived on this trip was walking for a reason. You would be out of your mind to agree to sign up for a walk over 5 days with no luxuries in a foreign land with a bunch of strangers for no reason, but that struck home, when a beautiful-souled lady (who will remain unnamed for this part of the blog) broke down at the side of the canyon. The beauty of the scenery and the silence of the land had taken all of us back to why we were there in our own ways I think, I was there partially for myself, and having recently lost the friend I had met through social media who had guided me through a lot of my journey felt myself a little lost personally had taken a wander down to the deepest edge of the canyon I felt brave too, alone in thought, and turned around choked up to see a beautiful face streamed in tears. She was of course, already being comforted by strangers who had all been affected by this what can only be described as ghastly and devastating disease themselves. Without a thought I was on the top of the hill at the canyon again and there was three of us, all sat looking at the view, arms around each other. 

We didn’t need to say a word because the comfort of knowing other people had all been affected by the same pain was enough, and somehow as a group, in this first 45 minute stop we had all bonded over a few moments of silence, some tears and some grief. We didn’t need to sit and tell our stories like we were at show and tell because we all knew that we were here because we didn’t want these damn tumours to ruin any more lives. I knew from just looking at some of the beautiful people on this trek that there was pain in their eyes that I wish no one would ever have to see again. There were people on this trek who had young children who should never have to worry a future where people have to suffer the way we have seen suffering from these tumours or suffered ourselves. Everyone was on this trek to change the world, as far away from the world as we knew it.

We were stood on land that I can only describe as feeling like soggy cornflakes to walk on, it almost bounced back when you walked, and yet it was like lava rock at the same time, we had all volunteered to come and trek across a giant volcanic island in hindsight, but as we drank our Icelandic hot chocolate and boarded back onto that coach for our last leg of the coach ride to our drop off point, little did we know that we were about to start a crazy and painful adventure as the ‘Icelandic Brainy Bunch’…

THE STARTING POINT:

Ah, its not too bad. We started walking as a group on a sandy terrain to start with and it seemed like a simple job for the first 1km. Safe to say we were all laughing and joking and simply messing around and bonding as a group.  I honestly don’t think any of us, except Lloyd, who in hindsight we should have realised had super distance knowledge (turns out he is super inspirational marathon runner man – this guy came back from Iceland and has run several marathons since and I simply gave up and ate cake for like a year.) realised how far we had to walk that day, every sign we took a selfie underneath and simply jumped and messed around, until roughly 2.5km in, when the sand started to get harder to walk upon and the winds picked up, in the distance we could see we were walking into a minor sandstorm. This obviously felt hellish, but we got through the next 2.5km and even trekked through someones camp due to Ron. This is where he earned his nickname, where a man became a legend… 

Some people may say this is a just an old wives tale, but all 21 one of us still live to tell the tale;

The winds were high and motivation was low, we were struggling as a group, Lloyd was powering on and giving us motivation from up front with Kate and Jaz. I was down back and dragging Beth down with me, poor Dougie (and naturally Laura translating with him were held back too) and the rest of the pack were in the middle. All our legs were growing tired from starting too strong and a strange terrain that you just couldn’t prepare for on English soil. Suddenly out of nowhere, Ron reaches into his back and wacks out a speaker, and out of nowhere, The Jackson 5, Can you Feel It starts playing. And like magic … 

SUDDENLY WE COULD ALL FEEL IT.



Can you feel it, became the group anthem. It carried us for kilometres until we reached the next camp we had to walk through where someone from the back shouted, and I distinctly remember a cheeky Scottish accent, so that’ll be Dougie, shouting something like “Got any other songs” and it was all mixed up, so suddenly as a group we were bouncing through the serene natural setting of the Icelandic highlands to ‘The Prodigy’. And in these moments, The Legend that is DJ Ron was born. Motivation was at an all-time high, nothing could stop us, we kept advancing and we were making great progress! I even found time to stop and pose on a rock as The Little Mermaid, my friendship with Laura was coming on leaps and bounds, and we were all on top of the world (almost literally) until we reached a road block. Well, a river crossing.


Trousers rolled up, shoes off, and we started the walk. OH… HELL … ON … EARTH… HOW… DO … THEY… MAKE… IT… THIS…. COLD… AHH…. HELP…. I couldn’t feel my legs or toes, even the boys looked like they were squealing like piglets inside with the freezing glacial rivers rushing across their feet making across these rivers. We all quickly dried off and tried to warm up and the other side, rapidly redressing and being very sneakily rewarded with a chocolate digestive by our Icelandic guides. I didn’t realise any natural water was made in that temperature. It wasn’t until I’d come to Iceland that I realised how lucky we are back in England with the temperature of our water!


Misch an absolute diamond for me for the final part of the day, just when I thought my legs couldn’t carry me over the final part of the hill, we were nattering and she kept me fully distracted until base camp arrived. The view of the campsite was beautiful, however the idea that me and Beth together having to make our tent, (both lovely and fabulous but I wouldn’t want us in a zombie apocalypse to be fair) was petrifying. I think the guide had spotted this also as he talked us through how to put it up when explaining these tents to the rest of the group! Once we’d got our tents up we put up the communal tent and settled for our evening. A group of us was sharing stories about people we had lost in the food tent and suddenly I found myself needing a moment.

We all separated and headed off to bed. My first night sharing with Beth was eventful, we were literally stuffed in so tight that our sleeping bags were touching. Beth fell asleep annoyingly fast and was out for the count, I have no idea how the rough floor beneath her no worry. It also turns out the girl can sleep through anything however.

My first night in Iceland, I had a small focal seizure followed by me feeling unwell, the medic joined us in my tent briefly and not once did Beth wake. TOP SLEEPER IN ICELAND AWARD GOES TO BETH.


Comments

Popular Posts